Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Who misses me?


I may have failed to mention that I went to Hawaii.  I'm still here actually, with my friend Laura.  I'll admit it. I have neglected my remaining faithful readers.

We are staying with my wonderful cousin (whose name is also Laura) and her husband Patrick, and their two kids (my little cousins).  They have been so good to us, showing us around, giving us local secrets, providing coffee(Patrick makes a great cuppajoe), making excellent Indian food(this award goes to my cousin Laura), and sharing late night chats and the abundance of their bookshelves. I have really enjoyed the chance to get to know their family better.
Sean's on Patrick's back...he's there, you just can't see him.



I have spent the past week and a half climbing, swimming, trekking, hiking, viewing sea turtles, and Amazonian, Guam, and other rain forests(botanical gardens, Island rainforest style). Once through the forests, I swam out out to a waterfall.




I have been reading the BFG to my little cousin (first cousin once removed), Keira, but my fellow booklover could not stand just reading a chapter or three in the evening, and went ahead and finished it without me one afternoon.

We switched hats for a moment























I have been discussing rainbows (mbo-mos) and bird poop on cars ("a-poop-acars!) with my 2 year old little cousin, Sean, and also learning argument management from him. "Sean, it's time to sit."  -"No sit."  "Can I have a kiss?" -"No piss"  "If you want a cookie you need to say please."  "Ah-unt cookie...No-pease."  in a sweet and matter of fact tone.  The kid busts me up, but I dare not crack a grin, because he is an entertainer, and will repeat anything that gets him a laugh.

Let this be a warning to all who expect me to babysit...I have ways of maintaining good behavior.
We have found a Thai truck that we love dearly. We will miss it terribly when we leave.  we have raided the local swap meet (actually the place where local artists and merchants sell off their surplus wares, pretty amazing).












We have been to the Mighty MO(the place where the end of world War II was signed), the Oklahoma Memorial, the Bowfin(submarine), and the Arizona memorial, and have been appreciating our military.





We have spent many hours reading in many scenic locales. We have been swimming in clear, warm, blue water(It's sooooooooo weird). We went to the pineapple plantation.

















Tonight, we will be going to the cultural center to see reenactments of Native Hawaiian lifestyles, and then later to watch a hula, and then a fire dance.




























And then all too soon, we will be boarding that 6 hour icebox known as Hawaiian airlines, and adjusting to 108 degree weather and life three hours earlier.  But until then, I'll be enjoying my time here, with family, and/or as a tourist.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Been missing you at church, but glad to see you're on a grand adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you haven't fallen off the face of the Earth! Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love it! Your trip thrills the adventurer in me. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have missed you! I keep coming here repeatedly and reading the same dumb dog joke over and over again. :-)

    I know what you mean about being careful to not crack a smile at the little one. We weren't careful with my grandson Zeke, the self-described "King of Cute." And now it's too late.

    Glad you're having such a good time. Wish I was there! :-)

    Linda T. from OC

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!