Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fortunate

"So, are you out the door at the clock today, or are you hanging around to get work done?"
My coworker asks at lunch the Friday before the school break finally arrives.


"Out the door!" I respond, "I have stuff to do!"
"Errands?"
"No, I'm headed to the coast."
"Niiice, the beach!"

"Meh, the beach may happen, but I'm not much for the beach. I told my Grandad I'd visit, and they just happen to live near the beach."



A pause happens. 
I expect to hear something about how cute or quaint it is that I would use vacation time to visit grandparents.


 The pause extends long enough to become thoughtful.
"You're fortunate, you know."


The normally jocular tone has turned completely pensive, 
"Not too many adults still get to visit their grandparents."
 And now it's my turn to take a pensive pause.
It doesn't feel right to go into great detail for my coworker about how fortunate is too brief of a statement.
 Sometimes I get busy, and distracted from this fortune. Even during the times I am careless though, I am still greatly blessed.

But it's nice to be reminded of what I am.

So I nod.

"Yes, very fortunate."

2 comments:

  1. A treasure, unlike any other... So glad you are going!
    Carol W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears come easily. Yes, blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!