Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sometimes temptation is the same thing as hunger

So, I was driving by the shopping center that just so happens to contain Red Brick Pizza, that mythical place I have heard about that also serves gluten-free pizza.

Danny, the youth pastor, just did a lesson about temptation at Junior High last night. I am ashamed to admit that I have failed in resistance.  Temptation always starts the same way: I'll just swing by to see where the place is located...  I'll just go inside to check the prices... I'll just ask which toppings are also gluten free... Say for example, what would a gluten free, 9 inch, supreme vegetarian pizza cost me? Eight dollars? Oh... how long does that take to make? ...Do you take credit cards?

Yes, blogfriends, I succumbed.  Let me tell you this: it was for a very important reason! I just so happen to really, really like pizza...especially pizza with artichokes on it.

So, here it is:
Looks good.
Smells good!

Tastes ...mmmmgooooooood.

For the sake of science, I should have saved some of the pizza as leftovers, to find out what it's like as breakfast pizza.  However, science is rarely very kind to me, and I was hungry...so to heck with science!  Plus, you keep gluten free leftovers like that, and soon the celiacs of Bakersfield start swarming the refrigerator like buzzards...and there is not enough space in my kitchen for that many people.

For all of you curious non gluten eaters, here is my review.
Price: Well, a little steep, but that is my own fault, because I like a pizza with serious toppings. However, as far as gluten free pizza goes, it is still about 5 dollars cheaper than BJ's pizza with equal toppings.
Taste: Better than BJs... oh so much better than BJs.  I think BJs might not be my favorite because it is sweet, and I'm not a fan of the sweetness.  However, I also felt the toppings(which I ordered pretty much the same thing in both places) were of better quality at Red Bricks
Crust: As usual, it was a thin crust pizza, but it had some umph in its thinness. I picked up each slice, and none required a fork.  It had a good crunchy tone on the outside, not too soggy on the inside, and the texture did not hint of a lack of gluten.
Note: Just some common sense here, make sure to check that the toppings you choose are gluten free. The chicken is not, but I do believe he said the other meats were.  You are responsible for your own demise, and eating adventures, however. Don't take my word on these things, ask for yourself!

It took 20 minutes to prepare in a non busy restaurant, the manager admitted that part of that wait is because it takes longer to prepare gluten free.  I think perhaps I will take the majority of the blame about that, though, because I walked in on a whim. It would probably be better to call the order in ahead of time in the future.

I'll definitely go back sometime, and it is likely to become a favorite.  And that, my friends, is the conclusion of this particular eatery adventure!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Those of us in the GF community need to support this place. Very thorough review, and now I'm hungry. Very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey your compassion link is working right! Whoopie!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome!